I’ve been housesitting in the country for four days now. Some things I have discovered so far:
1. A new person walking someone else’s dog is going to cause peering faces through curtains
2. The Spar sells rabbit food and Soda Stream machines
3. Fallen Autumn leaves, like snow, are sometimes much deeper than they seem. Walk with a stick.
4. Farmstalls are the new Woolworths. Frozen meals, chocolate brownies, nice.
5. Just because you think it’s cold, doesn’t mean it can’t get way colder.
6. A crackling phone line is not always because you are in a remote area, sometimes it’s just not plugged in properly.
7. The stillness becomes less deafening as time goes on.
8. You’ll hear “Have a nice holiday”, alot. Don’t even try and pass as a local.
9. Before your friends arrive, you might find yourself talking to farm animals for company.
10. No matter how many times you have seen the mountains, they still have the ability to take your breath away.